I’ve made my want list and I’ve checked it twice. I want for Christmas 2018:
- A blue 1956-1960 Ford pickup. Red is the currently hot marketing color for pickups. If red is all you can find, that will work, but blue would match my eyes.
- A dog. I need a dog to ride with me in my new pickup.
- A 2-story log lodge—about 6000 square feet.
A log lodge has been on my list for several decades. Someone has not been listening! A Wall Street Journal (12-12-18) article says Baby Boomers are aging as the loneliest generation ever. Senator Ben Sasse quotes a study in his book, The Vanishing American Adult, that Millenials experience their turmoil as loneliness.
A building does not guarantee a community, but it can help.
I’m also thinking about my wish list for you.
- A copy of Ben Sasse’ book and desire to talk about the forecast Kingdom.
- Commitment to regularly interact with, worship with, eat lunch and drink coffee with a diverse group of ages and ethnics. In 1972, I suggested to a struggling Baptist church they replace pews with tables and chairs. They rejected my wisdom. I have since learned that the word “preaching” pictures the audience sitting around tables. We could use the log lodge.
- When you come to the lodge or our house you will experience God’s presence. Emmanuel is still His modus operandi.
Merry Christmas—An intentional New Year
©2018 D. Dean Benton—writer, wonderer, worshiper, witness